/tg/ WOD game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So, the game...

+3
N!
Matthew Garnet
Gabriel Nash
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

So, the game... - Page 2 Empty Re: So, the game...

Post  N! Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:58 pm

Allow me to throw my 2 cents in. Aussie here.
I'd prefer nWoD, but that's just because I already know it. I'm completely willing to learn me some oWoD. I'd also prefer IRC for a number of reasons, most of which have already been mentioned. I'll be keeping an eye on the forum.

N!

Back to top Go down

Post  Kobal Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:16 pm

Just to clarify, I'm up for either IRC or PbP, I just remarked PbP takes a little longer. As for nWoD or oWoD, I believe the original intention was for masqurade (it's mechanically quite similar to requiem, so if you got your head around that you shouldn't have any trouble with this), however I've run both and wouldn't mind either.
Anyway, so long as we knuckle down how many players there are and what they wish to do we can decide and the ST's can rendevouz on a setting and story.

Kobal

Back to top Go down

Post  Elwood Boulder Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:16 pm

Well it doesnt matter to me really, I do what the ST is most comfortable with.

Elwood Boulder

Back to top Go down

Post  TMcCaine Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:08 pm

Just to clarify, I am not trying to run one game over another. The setting I am familiar with in both the WoD history and IRL history. Just trying to make a discussion, although I am willing to be a ST if we have none. I am a little rusty in this setting but I am acquiring the books to freshen up on my skillz.
The best setting time frame is the Roaring Twenties where it was very prosperous, an industrial revolution was in its beginnings and a huge influx from agricultural to urban life was happening.
The biggest changes in WoD history were in America, especially Chicago, Detroit, and other huge up and coming cities were the local princes were being established. Aside from that the European (can't think of the WW terminology) Vampire Sects were rather settled except for some Chinese/Asian upstarts. And the assamites either were just cursed or have not yet been cursed making them a strong force (as in Requiem).

The reason nWoD or oWoD would work is because of the huge transition in lifestyles such as described above. There is a huge mix of Victorian style with new world 'flapper' mentality and free spiritualism. This time was also heavy in the occult (IRL history), alchemy was in its hayday just before it separated into the sciences as we know of them today. A character could be well versed in either a bow or a browning automatic rifle (as used by Bonnie as in Bonnie & Clyde) and horses and cars were still in mainstream use.

In Requiem there is a starting generation that is lower than VtM's 13th (if I remember correctly) and we can decided on the between spot which should put us at a starting point of 10th generation (age and generation merit obviously applies with logical restrictions on age).
Younger vampires would more likely take the VtM core, and older ones would use oWod setups. As I said before it is an environment of great change allowing for a greater grasp on diversity and conflict. As you could see there is a clash between the younger vamps and the older, more established, Victorian era elders who are more interested in sticking with the status quo.

As a note, the west (as a frontier) is on the down stroke and individuals like Billy the Kid were old fogies if you believed he didn't die. The west happened just 40 years ago (1880's) and many of the properties still exist in America from this slowly dying era.

I am going to start rambling. But as you can see, this is why I chose this time frame. And to answer the individual who was asking about the different about Mage & VtM; there is a conceptual difference that is easier to grasp with Vampire. I always found MtR to be quite hard to comprehend at times, but the core mechanics are identical. But there is no quintessence for vamps (if your experienced in the first-second editions)

I have no problem running a setup like this on IRC or PbP. We could actually do both from time to time and when time permitted. I don't know what the other ST has proposed or prepared at this time and would like to hear input from him.

TMcCaine

Back to top Go down

Post  TMcCaine Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:16 pm

TMcCaine wrote:The setting I am familiar with in both the WoD history and IRL history.

So hopefully now that I have created an account it will let me edit my posts.

"I am familiar with the setting in both the WoD history and IRL history...
There is probably more, but I will have to bite my tongue through the rest.
TMcCaine
TMcCaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Nash Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:37 pm

Alright at this point the most important question i believe is....do you 2 want to run a game together? If so, IRC or PbP? But the issue is you 2 are in dramatically different time zones.

Gabriel Nash

https://tgwod.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kobal Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:52 pm

I am very much willing to be a player, as I said I would be an ST out of necessity. If we've got another and we only need one, not a worry.

TMcCaine: I haven't committed to anything, and have a rudimentary resoviour of ideas that I'd be ready to flesh out as soon as we know which system and setting we are up for.

Kobal

Back to top Go down

Post  aulste20 Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:03 pm

The idea of the twenties sounds great now that you've fleshed it out a bit more.

I am completely willing to play PbP but IRC might be harder considering I am moving.

What if we do a combination like for alot of it we do PbP and if we get into an intense action we can IRC it and post it to the forums?

Just and Idea also roll call to see how many people are interested.

aulste20

Back to top Go down

Post  Andros Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:07 pm

Swedfag here, interested.

Andros

Back to top Go down

Post  Haven Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:09 pm

This sounds pretty fantastic.

Are you set on a Vampire game? Because I am always of the opinion that Mage: the Ascension needs more love. And now that WWI/II's been brought up I've got the thought of Indiana Jones, Son of Ether in my head. Very Happy

Haven

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Nash Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:25 pm

I think most people are familiar with a vampire game...and it does seem we are using owod rules.

Gabriel Nash

Back to top Go down

Post  Kobal Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:28 pm

I have the nWoD mage book but I haven't read it yet :/

Kobal

Back to top Go down

Post  Elwood Boulder Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:31 pm

While I prefer nWoD I dont mind to learn oWoD if I have to.

And I also agree with Haven, Mage would be nice too.

Also 3

EDIT. I also agree on that we could mix it with PbP and IRC. Using IRC for more hectic moments such as fighting and such.

Elwood Boulder

Back to top Go down

Post  Alt Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:34 pm

I'd be down for PbP (erratic schedule).
Preference for nWod but will play either.

Alt

Back to top Go down

Post  loljin Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:05 am

Potential Aus timezone player - preference for irc since i know that pbp tends to go sloooooooooooooowwwww. I'm only familiar with oWoD Vampire/Mage, but i'm open for whatever you guys decide to run.

loljin

Back to top Go down

So, the game... - Page 2 Empty I will go ahead and assume the role of ST

Post  TMcCaine Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:47 am

Ok, its time to start actually developing characters then.
I will start a thread and read through your character idea list. I would have to insist on a modified VtM (oWod) setup as I am most familiar with it, however, I am able to bring in Requiem upon request (and as long as it fits the realm of reason). I have only looked at the nWod, but if someone could provide source material I am willing to change my mind as I am very familiar with the game play mechanics.
I will also start a thread about the houserules flaws and merits I mentioned earlier.

As far as game play mechanics are concerned we will go over that in a while, I am more interested in the characters, but i will also be writing a general introduction to the story as a mood setter. I do want to point out that I will use PbP and IRC chat sessions because a PbP will allow me to handle the game differently letting character groups play in different settings simultaneously and manage each one. Where as with IRC I will be tied to one group of people so I can attentively give them the attention they need.
I will also suggest character/character interactions via correspondence as i will also use email, PM, and the forum to communicate with the characters.
Player/player communication will remain open and also encouraged and if I could ask that the Admin start a board so we can make these threads at our leisure. Its a good place for 'get to know you' or 'help with the game' or 'suggestions' topics, or just to communicate and design gathering times for IRC sessions.

When I run a game with my friends I am very open and honest about what you should do and what you will need. I don't try to use "HAH, you don't have it, so your SCREWED!" tactics and hand twisting maneuvers.
As a ST I think its better to continue with the story so that is my goal, there is no other goal in mind and I will do what I can to help that happen.

On a final note; I am familiar with all three core books, Vampire, Mage, & Warewolf. However, I would suggest that you try to keep this a Vampire game. I do see a use for the other systems as NPC's and others of the like. If you are to design a Mage or Warewolf in a Vampire setting we need to cover some logical ground before it can happen. By logical ground I do mean that you don't want to ruffle the feathers of the wrong groups by character design. Vampires to hang with Mages and Warewolves on a casual basis and even have friends in the same motif. But please remember that in the traditional sense they don't get along, so there are obstacles in game it will create but they can be avoided.

I will go start that character thread now since it is on my mind.
TMcCaine
TMcCaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Nash Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:01 am

Hmm okay. Just want to confirm a few things then...

Caine : What hours can you cover? I think most aus players will be on in the evenings their time, which is about...err....im estimating, from 4-6 hours ago as of the time of this post. Can you cover this?

Kobal : Will you be assisting Caine in STing?

For everyone else, if you do know people who are interested in STing or playing in the game, feel free to give them the link.

I will create boards and setup permissions as soon as the name of the chronicle is decided.

Gabriel Nash

Back to top Go down

Post  Kobal Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:11 am

I'll assist only if needed. Else I'll make a character. Caine sounds like he's game to set things up.

Kobal

Back to top Go down

Post  TMcCaine Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:23 am

Kobal wrote:I'll assist only if needed. Else I'll make a character. Caine sounds like he's game to set things up.

That's what I want the Player/Player communication board for, so we can dispense ideas freely to each other.

As far as a game title, I have honestly never used one. And if I did, we came up with it most often in the middle of the game. I always felt to confined to the title as I will only make a liar of myself If I make one up, so a generic title if you really need one should be fine. On that note, The Roaring Twenties should be well enough.

As far as time zones, I work on salary. I go to locations when I am called and I typically work 16 hours a week, but I have to be available 24 hours a day. Some weeks I do work 40 hours, but I am always at a computer. As I am right now, I am at work and have been for the past 5 hours.
TMcCaine
TMcCaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Taylor Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:32 pm

Just got back... so yeah player here..

Elizabeth Taylor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kobal Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:21 pm

so, just to confirm, I'm not needed as an ST and should write up a character?

Kobal

Back to top Go down

Post  TMcCaine Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:18 am

Kobal wrote:so, just to confirm, I'm not needed as an ST and should write up a character?
If I remember correctly you wanted to be a player, but would be a ST if you needed to be.
Ultimately, its up to you. You can be if you want to be, I don't mind, but it isn't absolutely necessary.
If you are not, I will be doing offline colabs with other people. I always colab with someone to work the story out as it helps me in the creative process.
TMcCaine
TMcCaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Kobal Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:09 am

which is always a fine idea. However, I think I shall roll up a character and play. Cheers.

Kobal

Back to top Go down

Post  Andros Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:50 pm

Just one question for later, how will we do the character sheets? Should we just write how we did them, or something else? Might as well ask now so I know.

Andros

Back to top Go down

Post  TMcCaine Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:58 pm

Andros wrote:Just one question for later, how will we do the character sheets? Should we just write how we did them, or something else? Might as well ask now so I know.
I will start a thread on that later. As it is right now I am working out which sheets I will need. There are some details to go over on the sheets and I am trying to organize all of the character synopsis-es posted thus far.

You can, if you want, download a character sheet from the White Wolf website as they have the oWoD character sheets ready for download in PDF format. Its going to be a setup by the book with some house rules for flaws and merits altering the total freebie points available. Those house rules are the only alteration to the 'by the book' character setup which doesn't change anything profound.
TMcCaine
TMcCaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next