/tg/ WOD game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character Ideas [oWoD]

+4
Elizabeth Taylor
Matthew Garnet
Gabriel Nash
TMcCaine
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Character Ideas [oWoD] Empty Character Ideas [oWoD]

Post  TMcCaine Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:14 am

As far as the setting goes, remember that its the Roaring Twenties. There are many designs you can use from the farm girl gone factory worker to the college educated businessman, and even a cowhand. Any country is allowed but I want there to be an intention to meet in one or two countries preferably in Europe or America as these will be the locations where vampires are beginning to migrate to as well. This is perhaps the most important part as a good group(s) construction will help make the game good. So take your time, ask questions and give ideas freely to others.

A group dynamic is encouraged, two or more groups are also encouraged. I do not intend on having one group go against another unless they are that dynamically different. The two or more groups could also be working a different front of the same idea.

Also, who is already turned? Is this going to be a fresh out of the box character or still a human? No you do not absolutely have to be a vampire, but if you are not, it will change the group dynamics. This isn't to say its a bad thing, and there are benefits to other characters, so lets flesh this out so we have a better idea.

The end result is to be able to answer the questionnaire below. I use it for NPC's and it helps players develop a character. It isn't necessary to fill it out now, completely, nor is it necessary to fill it out here. You can email me the list (so I have a copy and also so I have your email address).

Late comers are also welcome, so if you are getting into the game late, don't worry there is a spot for you.

Questionnaire:
Name, Nickname:
Vital Statistics:
Residence:
Hobbies:
Loves:
Hates:
Personal Style:
Voice:
Relationships/Interaction:
Greatest Desire:
Pockets:
Issues:

{Days used generically}
Typical Saturday morning:
Typical Saturday night:
Typical Sunday morning:

After this there will be the character sheets to fill out.
TMcCaine
TMcCaine

Back to top Go down

Character Ideas [oWoD] Empty Re: Character Ideas [oWoD]

Post  Gabriel Nash Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:50 am

I think it would be a good idea if we pick a city to start out with. Maybe in Europe or North America. I think it would help players decide what kind of character they want to play if they are given the general setting. Things could vary differently if its a camarilla city, a sabbat one, contested, industrialised or still rural, etc.

Gabriel Nash

https://tgwod.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TMcCaine Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:29 am

Admin wrote:I think it would be a good idea if we pick a city to start out with.

Thats the entirety of what I wanted to discuss here. There is a lot to cover so this might take a couple of days to finalize (bing PbP). I am all for either a New York (or other New England state), or a England campaign setting. its easier for me, because I live in America, to do New York or another industry city such as Detroit or Chicago.
But this too is dependent on what people want to play as far as environment. So this is what I want to discuss with the end product being the questionnaire.
TMcCaine
TMcCaine

Back to top Go down

Post  TMcCaine Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:45 am

Sorry, I didn't explain why...
I have an incessant beeping next to my head all day. Fire testing is going on and I am in control of a buildings fire panel. Good times...

Anyway, I personally believe that the setting is a character all on its own. Often the first one the characters will experience. I can develop the setting as my character as the players develop their characters.
TMcCaine
TMcCaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Garnet Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:47 am

This is beginning to sound like it's going to be a good deal of fun. I think I would prefer the setting to be around New York or another city in America, but thats mostly because I'm completely unfamiliar with it's history and I think it will be entertaining to find out how things happened as we go.

After brushing up on the roaring twenties I like the idea of playing a member of the Lost Generation. A boy who lied about his age and volunteered for the army, thinking only of 'doing the right thing' and being a patriot, but came out the other side a confused and recently turned Kindred. Unsure of what he has become he returns home, hoping to find a place in his old city.

I must admit I've never played a Vampire game before and I'm still reading up about Masquerade's rules so feel free to tell me if I have completely missed the mark.

Matthew Garnet

Back to top Go down

Post  TMcCaine Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:39 pm

Joseph wrote:I must admit I've never played a Vampire game before and I'm still reading up about Masquerade's rules so feel free to tell me if I have completely missed the mark.
Not that I can tell. I love intricate character designs with thought and attention placed into them. Its also why I made such a deep flaws and merits houserule set.

To live up to your characters idea I would need to know your original nationality, as not all military members are American, and many newcomers also felt the need to be patriotic for one reason or another. You could also be quite American, and now you are displaced.
Would you want to be turned during the war, or recently after returning akin to Interview With A Vampire.

One thing to make sure that we do is develope your sire as a character too, each vampire works with a clan and families are often bonded in one way or another. Rogue Vampires are seldom, but not always uncommon, especially in a place like New York.

New York is such a dense area you can literally chose any archetype, but remember that it is mostly contested (and I can't remember who) but it is generally controlled by the Sabbot. There are numerous gangs, the police are recently established, and whoever has the fastest car is the winner. Underground its quite chaotic. Vampire life is hard, but food is not scarce.
TMcCaine
TMcCaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Garnet Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:16 pm

TMcCaine wrote:
Not that I can tell. I love intricate character designs with thought and attention placed into them. Its also why I made such a deep flaws and merits houserule set.

Thanks, I had a good look at the merits and flaws you posted and I think I've spotted a couple I might like to take. My original idea was to have him turned during the war and unaware of who his sire was, but after reading through the core book I'm beginning to think thats not quite a good idea. Having a sire and a place in a clan seems pretty damn important to being able to get anything done.

From what little I know of the twenties immigration was meant to be pretty restricted, does the same hold true for the Kindred? I don't expect they would be very accepting of new vampires coming across from other cities. So I think I'd have the character be born in america, but his parents originally migrants from Britain before the war.

Matthew Garnet

Back to top Go down

Post  TMcCaine Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:01 pm

The great migrations weren't as restricted as one might think. Money was their obstacle, and they often had none.

For vampires, the Masquerade is a new force in America (not absolutely new, but new enough). Power is swapping hands and very often the New England states (such as New York) are the only locations of a solid Vampire society. However, vampires like people, will do what they will. In this city it is not uncommon to have a Caitif (very weak blooded vampire) and many individuals who have no association outside the anarchistic nature of the gang. There is no established identity, and therefore many people are trying to make one. The Vampire society is in no way an exclusion to this fact. In truth, vampiristic culture mimics exactly (if not flamboyantly exaggerated) the human life they live within.

As far as being restricted there are Vampire laws, but currently the state is too chaotic to properly enforce them. When you make your character the Occult skill will help yo know of Vampire laws and to be sure you don't break them unwittingly. However, with the population of New York in such a state of rapid growth, there are often thought to be not enough vampires to the millions of people trying to live there. Power struggles are too heavy making no single entity worth giving an alliance to.

In short the world is in a great state of change, but is very important to have a Sire on hand and because of that I would imagine you to be a post war change and he (she) is most likely a local. If you still want the war change, you and he (she) returned together and are trying to identify your world, in the new one.
TMcCaine
TMcCaine

Back to top Go down

Character Ideas [oWoD] Empty Elizabeth Taylor

Post  Elizabeth Taylor Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:56 pm

Questionnaire:
Name, Nickname: Elizabeth Taylor
Vital Statistics: I'm not sure what you mean here
Residence: 2 Bedroom apartment
Occupation: Jobless (Left her old life behind after being turned)
Hobbies: Used to play the piano
Loves: Children
Hates: Seeing people mistreated
Personal Style: Modest clothing
Voice: Soothing almost motherly
Relationships/Interaction: Currently living with two abusive retainers
Greatest Desire: To be needed and truly loved
Pockets: (Whats its got in its pocketses?) Purse, with a wallet containing spending money, handcuffs (required to be on her at all times according to her retainers)
Issues:Hmm I think I may just send you my scrawl of backstory I wrote up. Sorry I wrote this backstory up before it was decided to be in the twenties. BUT it should still work timeline wise.

{Days used generically}
Typical Saturday morning:Cooking and cleaning looking after the apartment.
Typical Saturday night: This is that one night a week specified in my backstory.
Typical Sunday morning: Recovery

Elizabeth Taylor

Back to top Go down

Post  aulste20 Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:48 pm

Well how about a Lower Gen Ventrue that was sired towards the end of the civil war. Maybe from the New York division who while in the war worked his way up the ladder only to be swept away into a skull and bones type organization upon returning home and then boom vamped.

I say this after being up for 19 hours and little sleep before that. Just kinda throwing it out to see if you guys think it would be ok.

aulste20

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Nash Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:55 pm

So i take it we are new york based?

What rules are we using?

Gabriel Nash

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Garnet Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:33 pm

-Questionnaire
Name, Nickname: Matthew Garnet
Vital Statistics: ????
Residence: Personal apartment
Hobbies: Poker games,
Loves: Relaxing with companions
Hates: Mis-used authority
Personal Style: Functional clothing, chosen for its freedom of movement.
Voice: Rough and direct but educated.
Relationships/Interaction: Admired Sire, no family in the city, hasn't re-established communication with old friends
Greatest Desire: To find a cause worthy of his attention
Pockets: Money clip, pocket knife, lighter, crumpled pack of smokes
Issues:
-Still getting used to having 'freedom' from the order in the military
-Possible psychological problems after war, unkown to himself
-Personal contacts within the city. Small amount of family, old friends from his childhood, perhaps one or two fellow soldiers he lost contact with

{Days used generically}
Typical Saturday morning: ..Iffy on this. He'd be asleep wouldn't he?
Typical Saturday night: Friendly poker game and drinks
Typical Sunday morning: Same as saturday morning I guess

Matthew Garnet

Back to top Go down

Character Ideas [oWoD] Empty Character ideas

Post  mashed potato man Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:28 am

Questionnaire:
Name, Nickname: Trent Lane
Vital Statistics: 5'11" 125lbs.
Residence: None
Hobbies: Keeping Jim out of trouble
Loves: A cool wind on a warm night
Hates: Seeing people mistreated
Personal Style: Depends(while performing a clownish pair of pants and such. when not very modest clothing)
Voice: Calm and crisp
Relationships/Interaction: Jim his younger brother(still living) and Zamboni's Bigtop Circus
Greatest Desire: To help people from behind the scenes
Pockets: A deck of Tarot cards
Issues: Night to night life in the circus trying to tend to his brother and a young Gangrel trying to figure out what he is.

{Days used generically}
Typical Saturday morning:Sleeping right?
Typical Saturday night: A few performances before heading into the streets to find someone with answers.
Typical Sunday morning: Sleeping again?

I have to ask a Storyteller for the okay on this but really lie the idea. any thoughts?

mashed potato man

Back to top Go down

Post  TMcCaine Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:04 am

Veirz wrote:Name, Nickname: Elizabeth Taylor
Clan Suggestions;
Malkavian - Demented, tormented. The Damned of the damned. So damned you don't even know it yet. Your sisters torment you to appease their own dementia masking the very nature of your own even to the degree they feed you blood without your knowledge.
Hunter - The strict rules have your sisters close to the church, but to save themselves you are their right hand, their buffer for sin. This wouldn't mean you are a hunter via the rules of the hunter, it means they use you as their weapon of choice for their hunter exploits.
Follower of Set - This is a clan, they have you, you are part of their clan. The need for sacrifice and their need for worship leaves them with a small requirement for a good laborer. The sisters are your contractors, you are their slave (so to speak). The biggest commodity they need is a free hand to bring them what they need.

Alignment - As with most in this city, any alignments are allowed but being the extension of any ones arm you find yourself clanless or godless. Anarchist.

aulste20 wrote:Well how about a Lower Gen Ventrue that was sired towards the end of the civil war.
Ventrue on the outside and possibly the are really Ravnos as they mask this truth from you. You would need a couple points in Generation, Military Training (no more than 3 in either) And the Veteran Merit. Others would define your characters personality better. As a side note you would barely qualify for an Age merit value of a 1.

Admin wrote:So i take it we are new york based?
So far, it is possible to take another starting location as the group does not have to be unified and it only seems that so far the unified factor seems to be their location.
As far as your second question, oWoD as its the only source I have.

Joseph wrote:Name, Nickname: Matthew Garnet
Clan Suggestions;
Brujah - This one sticks out the most as you thinking you were a soldier when you were turned. Who turned you is a more important question at this point and for some reason I keep seeing a woman who admired your fighting spirit, creating a close bond to you, and becoming personally interested in a new life in a new place.
Giovanni - As love interest go this is the most transparent. She, being of a high social status, fell in love and took you, was secretly banished (as in she doesn't tell you) for doing so, and here you are. You being to proud to care accepted the new challange as it is the only thing you have right now. This would also mean that she tells you little of the clan, instead she tells you about vampires in general avoiding the subject about her clan telling you "we are our clan."

As far as an alignment, you can pick Anarchist, Sabbat (with Brujah traits), or Camarilla as any would fit you at this time.

mashed potato man wrote:Name, Nickname: Trent Lane
Clan Suggestions;
Malkavian - Seriously, a vampire clown in a circus sounds like a plug for a horror movie, what better way to fulfill this than to be one of the most demented individuals known. Do you wear the clown outfit all the time?
I can't think of any others honestly, but make sure you are proficient at throwing knives to keep your job.

Alignment
Obviously Anarchist, the circus is a place of freedom even amongst the humans. A place to be someone else, somewhere else, until you find where you want to be.
TMcCaine
TMcCaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Burton Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:33 am

Concept: Southern planter who became a violent calvary raider during the civil war. Embraced after a raid. Maintains a genteel air but quickly resorts to and revels in anger.

Questionnaire:
Name, Nickname: Robert Burton
Vital Statistics: 5' 7", 180lbs
Residence: Manor house
Hobbies: Hunting, pistol shooting, horseback riding
Loves: Fighting, Drinking
Hates: Apathy, Lethargy
Personal Style: Fine suits
Voice: Gruff, southern drawl
Relationships/Interaction: Socialite women and foolhardy young men
Greatest Desire: Ride into battle
Pockets: Flask of bourbon, cigar case, box of matches, money clip, pocket watch
Issues: Enjoys society life but has no patience for the intricacies of its politics. Hopes for a chance to settle disputes with steel or pistols.

{Days used generically}
Typical Saturday morning: Sleep
Typical Saturday night: Parties and social events
Typical Sunday morning: Sleep
Typical Sunday evening: Roaming the wilderness

Robert Burton

Back to top Go down

Post  Andros Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:00 am

Not sure if I waited to long, but I'll throw mine in as well.

Concept: Was thinking along the lines of a former industrial worker, about as low in society as it is possible to be. At days he is working at the factory, and at nights he is mostly in bars, drinking or fighting to spend the night. I don't really like the Brujah too much as a clan, but I could see my character most fitting for that clan, any other suggestions for a clan would be helpful (havn't played WoD before, reading up on rules now).

Questionnaire:
Name, Nickname: Adam Murphy
Vital Statistics: 5' 9'', 170lbs.
Residence: Small apartment somewhere in the dirtier parts of the city.
Hobbies:
Loves: Winning, especially fights.
Hates: Nobles, losing, rich people.
Personal Style: Whatever clothes he can afford, usually repaired used clothes.
Voice: Rough.
Relationships/Interaction: Not much at all, he has a couple of people that you could call friends who he drinks with. He doesn't have any relations with his family anymore.
Greatest Desire:
Pockets: Box of matches, a pack of cigarettes, wallet.
Issues:
- No real contact or interaction with anyone, spends much time alone.
- Greedy.
{Days used generically}
Typical Saturday morning: Sleeping.
Typical Saturday night: Is out fighting in bars or hunting for blood.
Typical Sunday morning: Sleeping.

Andros

Back to top Go down

Post  Conner Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:48 am

Ventrue on the outside and possibly the are really Ravnos as they mask this truth from you. You would need a couple points in Generation, Military Training (no more than 3 in either) And the Veteran Merit. Others would define your characters personality better. As a side note you would barely qualify for an Age merit value of a 1.

Well if that was the case then how would I function in the Camirilla society? I really like playing ventrue in "modern" games and if I were playing a dark ages game I would completely got Tzimisce.

Conner

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel Nash Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:37 am

Rules wise, are we using standard VTM or something else?

Gabriel Nash

Back to top Go down

Post  Conner Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:26 am

Andros wrote:I don't really like the Brujah too much as a clan, but I could see my character most fitting for that clan, any other suggestions for a clan would be helpful (havn't played WoD before, reading up on rules now).

Hes a loner just making it on his own he's a type maybe gangrel.

Most people get brujah wrong.

Brujah all fight for something not just to cause problems, whether that something is possible or even makes sense is questionable.

Conner

Back to top Go down

Post  TMcCaine Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:00 am

Alt wrote:Name, Nickname: Robert Burton
Clan Suggestions;
Lasombra - Albeit the fall was real the trip was well worth it. The clan took you after a murderous raid because the raid was so spectacular. There are plenty of humans who are detested for such an act and few who are so rewarded, as you were.
Tzimisce - By the grace of damnation you find yourself in the unholy clutches of a mortal sin, and through it you feel no remorse as the act was pure beauty in its final throws.

Alignment - Sabbat obviously.

Andros wrote:Name, Nickname: Adam Murphy
Clan Suggestions;
Brujah - An obvious choice is sometimes the best choice. A deep pit of self loathing keeps you from fully embracing the world around you, even your own change as the violent urges continue to swell inside you even when you feel no need to continue. But sometimes, the fight has its own poetic meaning, even if you are the only one who can sense it.
Gangrel - Life is only a stopping point, now I am on the journey of the un-life. The pits of what you have to endure isn't always easily put into words, sometimes its simplest to act out how one feels. Regardless, your sire has left you alone in this strange new world with even stranger dangers. The old life is the safest place to hold onto.

Alignment;
Anarchists - There is no real place for social rules or defined law. You live only to live, survive so you can, because its instinct, and you can't fight instinct.

Conner wrote:Well if that was the case then how would I function in the Camirilla society? I really like playing ventrue in "modern" games and if I were playing a dark ages game I would completely got Tzimisce.
Being truly a Ravanos you can have the dots in your clan disciplines, but they have taght you the disciplines of the Ventrue to help you blend in better. You would be, via player knowledge, a planted spy ignorant of your true meaning in the scheme of things. Your true hart would lie in the world you know, but your sires would control you via influence to retain their control on your paths. Their final goal for you is hidden, as you simply 'are what you are' for now.
Being embraced during the Civil War, and the few others who would have been as well, you qualify for the Dark Ages book. Unfortunately it isn't necessary but if there is something in there you have your eye on, let me know.

Admin wrote:Rules wise, are we using standard VTM or something else?
I am sticking with the VtM book (oWoD) as much as possible and venturing out from it as little as needed. If I can, I will stay purely within it.
TMcCaine
TMcCaine

Back to top Go down

Post  TMcCaine Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:05 am

there is someone wanting to play a Mage, and if anyone wants to switch their character concept from a vampire to a Mage it is welcomed.
Check out the other thread to discuss it.
TMcCaine
TMcCaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Garnet Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:09 am

TMcCaine wrote: there is someone wanting to play a Mage, and if anyone wants to switch their character concept from a vampire to a Mage it is welcomed.
Check out the other thread to discuss it.
A few days ago I may have taken you up on that offer,new mages are generally my favourite major template, but now I'm really beginning to like the sound of my character. I think I'll stick with vampire thankyou.

TMcCaine wrote:
Clan Suggestions;
Brujah - This one sticks out the most as you thinking you were a soldier when you were turned. Who turned you is a more important question at this point and for some reason I keep seeing a woman who admired your fighting spirit, creating a close bond to you, and becoming personally interested in a new life in a new place.

As far as an alignment, you can pick Anarchist, Sabbat (with Brujah traits), or Camarilla as any would fit you at this time.
After reading through the clan section in the core-book I have to agree completely. Brujah sounds like a perfect fit. I'm glad to hear your idea for a sire, I've been trying to come up with one and everything I had thought of so far felt rather shallow.

Alignment is a major decision I think should at least partially be made as a group. I would be happy to be apart of either the Anarchist or Camarilla but i feel Anarchist fits more appriopriately with the characters spirit and his desire to find a worthy cause he can be fight towards.

I have to admit I'm a little confused with the process of joining another city. The core book talks about new Kindred presenting themselves to the cities camarilla prince when they arrive, but from your description of the era it sounds like the city is in quite a bit of turmoil making this tactic not quite appropriate. Though I suppose if he did simply go Anarchist then this societal formality might just be ignored.

Matthew Garnet

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Burton Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:29 am

TMcCaine wrote:Clan Suggestions;
Lasombra - Albeit the fall was real the trip was well worth it. The clan took you after a murderous raid because the raid was so spectacular. There are plenty of humans who are detested for such an act and few who are so rewarded, as you were.
Tzimisce - By the grace of damnation you find yourself in the unholy clutches of a mortal sin, and through it you feel no remorse as the act was pure beauty in its final throws.

Alignment - Sabbat obviously.

The Lasombra clan makes sense. I'll roll with that.

Robert Burton

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Taylor Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:46 pm

I was thinking Toreador for Elizabeth but Malk may work... I can probably play her easier as a malk anyway

Elizabeth Taylor

Back to top Go down

Post  TMcCaine Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:08 am

Ok, I have 3 people with chosen clans, and others working out the details of the best choice.
So far I have;
Player: Veirz as a Malkavian (unless you chose Toreador)
Player: Joseph as a Brujah
Player: Alt as a Lasombra

Player: Mashed Potato Man is currently undecided
Player: Andros also currently undecided

I have been working with the rest of you on your character ideas. If you are stuck, need suggestions, or help of any kind let me know. I am working with Hutter & Andros right now to help them decide what they want.

I am using the Questionnaire as the character you want to play before we put it onto a character sheet. I am taking those answered questions and saving them on my computer to help make the character sheets and using that as the sign you are done. Those of you who have and want to start making their character sheets go ahead and do so now and once I have everyone's filled questionnaire I will move onto a Character Sheet thread.

If you want to make a revision let me know at any time before the Character Sheet process is completed. Once we have done with that portion the character is set in stone, so I do want to make sure that they are as you want them to be.
TMcCaine
TMcCaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next